Employers should check strength of abilities across the workforce
August 24, 2021 — “Digital collaboration” and “critical thinking” are among the modern skills workers need for the post-pandemic economy, according to a new report. Questionmark, the online assessment provider, is calling on employers to measure strengths and weaknesses across the workforce.
The new Questionmark report, “Modern Skills for a Post-Pandemic World” explores what workers need to thrive in a modern environment. Such is the scale of the shift required, that half the global workforce will need reskilling by 2025, according to the World Economic Forum.
The abilities workers need fall into three categories: technology, thinking (or cognitive) and cultural.
- Digital collaboration – less than half of workers have been given sufficient training on relevant coworking tools.
- Digital communication – sharper skills and tools can reduce wasted and excessive communication.
- Cybersecurity awareness – the threat of cyber-attacks and the risk of data breaches are increasing.
- Understanding AI – artificial intelligence (AI) increasingly affects everything from spam filters to mobile phones.
Cognitive or thinking skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving – the ability to analyze a situation as objectively as possible and to make a reasoned judgment.
- Data literacy – just 21% of global employees are confident in their ability to understand data.
- Communication – workers must be able to tell a story and ask the right questions.
- Creativity – according to the World Economic Forum, “creativity is a uniquely human trait that no algorithm can replace.”
The cultural skills
- Accountability – home workers need to ensure their work is visible.
- Collaboration and teamwork – working together as a team was one of the most commonly cited challenges during the pandemic.
- Compliance – leaders will still be held accountable for ensuring their staff abide by the rules, even when they are out of sight.
John Kleeman, Founder of Questionmark, said: “Before they begin to tackle the modern skills gap in their workforce, employers need real and reliable information on it. Staff assessments pinpoint areas of strength and weakness across the workforce.”
Questionmark unlocks performance through reliable and secure online assessments.
Questionmark provides a secure enterprise-grade assessment platform and professional services to leading organizations around the world, delivered with care and unequalled expertise. Its full-service online assessment tool and professional services help customers to improve their performance and meet their compliance requirements. Questionmark enables organizations to unlock their potential by delivering assessments which are valid, reliable, fair and defensible.
Questionmark offers secure powerful integration with other LMS, LRS and proctoring services making it easy to bring everything together in one place. Questionmark’s cloud-based assessment management platform offers rapid deployment, scalability for high-volume test delivery, 24/7 support, and the peace-of-mind of secure, audited U.S., Australian and European-based data centers.