Assess practical IT skills in authentic lab environments
With Questionmark’s performance-based testing functionality, IT and software professionals can be assessed in an authentic, efficient and valid way via practical tests within lab environments. Designed to work in harmony with companies like Skillable, and in conjunction with other test formats, performance-based testing with Questionmark can offer the next step in authentic skill assessments.
The benefits of Performance-based Testing with Questionmark
- Authentic lab environments for accurate skill assessment: assess practical skills accurately and make more informed decisions about employees and candidates.
- Protect against test fraud: while not impossible, the ability to commit test fraud via performance testing is much more difficult, adding an extra layer of validity to test results.
- Scale your organization: build and scale your performance testing alongside other assessment types in one easy-to-use platform.
- Manage tests with ease: easily schedule, track and report on lab-based assessments.
- Grow and globalize: deliver anywhere, without the need for physical test centers, including in new markets across the globe
- Enjoy high-value certifications: offer higher value credentialing and certifications with well-designed and high-fidelity performance tests that show not only if a candidate has the appropriate knowledge, but if they also can apply that knowledge in a real-world setting
What is Performance-based Testing and why is it important?
Performance-based testing is an essential part of learning and skills validation for many employers, credentialing organizations, and educators. Performance tests require participants to demonstrate competence in environments that duplicate or closely approximate a real-world setting. For example, performance-based tests for IT and technical professionals can require them to perform hands-on tasks within virtual, cloud-based lab environments configured identically to the actual, on-the-job performance environments.
The benefit of performance testing is that—generally speaking— it is a more authentic and valid way of measuring a candidate’s practical skill level as they are completing tasks within a true-to-life lab environment, rather than simply demonstrating recall.
How does Performance-based testing work?
Performance-based testing allows you to incorporate easy-to-use lab environments into your training that neatly intersects with your existing software. Below you can see the step-by-step process of how the lab looks:
Once a lab is launched, you will see in the section to the right a tab with the instructions on how to finish tasks within the lab, as well as a resources tab with all the materials necessary to complete the lab. There is also a help tab should you need further assistance.
Once you have logged in with the appropriate passwords, you will then take the lab in the virtual environment as shown above.
Once you have completed all tasks and are confident, you can hit submit on the right-hand side to complete the lab.
The test results based on the performance in the lab are then displayed.